Between new healthcare laws and a government shutdown, this is a time of uncertainty in business. In order to help try to mitigate the potential damage from these factors, more and more employers are turning to hiring contract help. It can be a wise business decision, but you must understand the pros and cons of such an endeavor.
- When you hire (or attempt to hire) a contractor, you have a limited number of candidates to pool from. As your job specifics become more specific, that pool shrinks and they become harder to find. People do not quit jobs with benefits and perceived security to take contract assignments. You as a employer need to determine what expertise is critical, and where can there be flexibility. You’re limited to what’s in the inventory.
- Once they’ve been hired, you run the risk of them leaving at anytime. If a better assignment comes by or a direct hire opportunity comes up, they may, and probably will, leave. The commitment applicants make as a contractor is not the same as a direct hire employee.
- It’s a working interview. Have you ever hired someone only to find after a few days or weeks, “Boy it i make a mistake!” When you hire a contractor, you can actually see how they perform in “game” conditions and you can see it over a longer period of time. You’re decisions tend to be better, but remember CON #1.
- It is an easy entry, easy exit. In most companies, it takes less bureaucracy to hire a contractor than a direct employee.
- You pay for the contractor from the operating budget as compared to a direct hire budget.
- A contractor can start quickly, so that your problem can be solved faster.
Contractors are a great way to solve immediate problems in your business, whether it be a new project, maternity leave, or a sudden crisis. As an employer, you must have a realistic understanding of what you can expect. Remember, you have to understand that you will be limited by supply and demand.
As a staffing service in Pittsburgh, we know that temporary staffing isn’t for everyone. However, for those industries that can benefit from it, the benefits can be pretty nice. If your business needs to hire a contract employee, contact us now and see how quickly and easily we can help you.